17th March 2020
At Smurfit Kappa, the health, safety and wellbeing of all who work for us and with us is of paramount importance.
As you will be aware, there has been a surge in Coronavirus (COVID-19) cases in mainland China and several other countries in Asia. In Europe the number of confirmed cases has also increased, most notably in countries such as Italy and France. In these and other countries including UK and Ireland, we are adhering to and implementing all local government and health authority suggestions and instructions.
Given the global nature of our operations and with more cases arising across Europe, until the virus is under control we are taking additional precautionary measures to ensure that we do our best to protect everyone and maintain a high level of service to our valued customers.
We have taken the below steps:
- Appointed a dedicated UK and Ireland COVID-19 Board Level Task Force
- Restricted travel of our employees between our UK and international operations and to customer premises
- Cancelled internal and external meetings of large groups of people
- Implemented visitor access protocols to assist with prevention
- Communicated safe behaviour through specific plant briefs
- Introduced extra cleaning and additional hygiene procedures in our
- Implemented and communicated internal procedures and policies related to the handling of suspected or confirmed cases
Please note, in line with these protocols we are unable to receive anyone to our offices who have been to any of the affected countries and regions (including stopovers in airports) in the two weeks preceding their visit to our premises. Smurfit Kappa has continued to make significant investments in UK Recycling, Paper, Corrugating and Converting operations and therefore have spare capacity to support contingency plans in this difficult period. There has been no impact on our supply chain to date. In terms of paper, we have a net surplus supply of recovered paper collected by our UK-wide recycling operations which ensures self-sufficiency in key raw material. Our corrugated plants are supplied by our own UK based paper mills for recycled grades and can be independent of imports. In addition, we are increasing our stocks of other raw materials in conjunction with our keys suppliers to minimise the risk of any potential disruption.
We hope that you appreciate our highest priority is the safety of both our work colleagues and partners. As this is an evolving situation, we continue to monitor and review daily updates from the World Health Organisation (WHO). As more information becomes available, we will review our policies and approach to the Coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak.
Saxon Packaging (Smurfit Kappa UK & I)